Once again my first thought for this post
was to whine about the weather. Is this just a Canadian obsession?? But…REALLY
This week started off with a humdinger of an ice storm and everyone in our big
city is still slithering around trying not to fall and break bones.
Monday, before the weather turned ugly,
Jessica came over for a lunch meeting so that we could hash out some more
points about the changes to the 2018 Program Manual. We had a productive
conversation so that subsequently I was able to send a huge zip file of
documents to Arnee who is now busily typing from her sister’s home on a sheep
farm in Ireland (so appropriate that it is a SHEEP farm, given our intimate connection
with all things “LAMB”)
Being hardy Québecois, most of us have still
gone about our regular business over the past few days although all schools and
universities were closed on Tuesday; but Wednesday Mae Anne braved the ice so
that the two of us could meet. Part of our conversation was about her
plans to change direction in her education (all very exciting!!) followed by a
discussion around various Day Camp committee issues such as the recording of
this year’s songs and her (possible) availability for summer ministry (woo
So quite a lot of progress has been made on
a number of fronts, which is really encouraging as January draws to a close.
Yesterday morning I had a long phone call
with the incoming Coordinator of Youth Ministry in the York Region of the
Anglican Diocese of Toronto. It is such a blessing that she is just as keen as
her predecessor and intends to encourage a lot of churches in that region to
host Day Camps this summer 😊
Squeezed in between the meetings and
conversations, I finished typing  the Board minutes from last Sunday afternoon and
also did a bunch of follow up from that
Then on Thursday evening “The Pod” held our
monthly House Eucharist. Although it was still pretty treacherous outside it
was warm and cosy in here as eight of us gathered to share supper and then the
Lord’s Supper. Christopher even risked life and limb by carrying his electronic
keyboard to the Gathering so that we could have an accompaniment to our songs,
Yay Christopher 
Yesterday, after Day Camps and Office work, I
spent the afternoon crawling around on my hands and knees re-stencilling the
dining room floor. It was (for once!) bright and sunny providing excellent
lighting for drawing all the fine details. There is a lot of wear and tear that
happens in the dining room so this job needs to be done every few years. Next project
is to do the same on the living room floor stencil!! However I think my
big indoor task in the coming week will be the dusting of all the books in the
living room. This is a big job since there are eight shelves, which flank the
fireplace and they hold roughly 400 books!!
Today has not been devoted to “Bake and
Blog” since my next big baking will be on Tuesday. Some former neighbours will
be joining me for dinner that evening as, when the ice storm hit, we had to
postpone their visit planned for last Monday. So this morning was devoted to a
couple of sewing projects- the first a special gift bag for Pippa’s upcoming
birthday and the second a patchwork lap quilt made from some quilting blocks
that a friend gave me this Christmas.
It is now late afternoon so my thoughts are
turning to dinner and also to a recipe with which to close off. Hmm…
Last Monday evening I made a supper that I
had not had in a very long time, but one that was a family favourite –
Welsh Rarebit. It makes a perfect cosy dish on a cold winter’s night. Here is my
Mum’s recipe: –
      2 Tbsps. butter
2 Tbsps. flour
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ cup pale ale
¾ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar
2 drops hot sauce
Toasted baguette

In a medium
saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking
constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour. Whisk in
mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add beer and
whisk to combine. Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth.
Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is
smooth; this will take 4 to 5 minutes. Add hot sauce. Pour over toast and serve
immediately. Serves 2.