Our crazy summer weather continues here in
Montreal! Today there is actually a “High Heat” weather advisory; it is very
hard to believe we are about to enter the last week of September
The week began with CTM’s Praise &
Thanksgiving Gathering that took place last Sunday Evening. Our usual practice
is to hold a Prayer & Praise Gathering during the week after Day Camps ends
and before the start of Junior and Senior Youth Camps but this year it seemed
wiser to meet after all the Camps were over so that each ministry could present
a slideshow or video about their Program along with a short report and plenty
of songs.
More than 40 people turned out for the
Gathering, which was followed with some refreshments. It was a special evening
and I certainly enjoyed reconnecting with 10 of this year’s Travelling team
Monday evening we held our monthly Day Camp
Committee meeting and had a good turnout with regrets from only one member. We
covered A LOT of territory from the details for the upcoming Harvest Team
Gathering, to initial Coffeehouse plans and, of course, a comprehensive look at
our 2017-18 “Job List”. This last document includes committee meeting dates
along with who has volunteered for devotions and secretarial duties, other jobs
that span the whole year such a “Supply Person” or “Program Manual Typist”,
names of people to approach for the writing and/or editing of every Program
Manual Chapter and even a list of potential “Guest Bloggers” for our monthly
Wednesday Words Post!
So as you can imagine it was a very
productive evening and now, God Willing we have a “roadmap” in place as we
launch into a new Day Camps year
 Tuesday, as is my usual practice after a
meeting, I began to send out messages to various people we had targeted. This
is also the time when I review the cumulative evaluations of the Team Leaders
and compile a list of suggestions for different sections of the Manual. These
comments are then sent to the people who agree to be involved in fabricating
next summer’s Program.
 Meanwhile there was also general office work
to deal with, like typing up the minutes of last Sunday’s CTM board meeting and
once they were approved, sending them out to all the Board Members. With the
Coffeehouse only 6 weeks away I also set up a Facebook Event for that. Jessica
and Mikaela have agreed to be the co-coordinators , which is great so I’m sure
the evening will run smoothly.

Throughout the week there has been a fair
amount of other activities to keep the household busy.
Renovations continue on the home
immediately next door to us so my office time is punctuated with all sorts of
interruptions as the workers ask if the can put ladders on my side of the fence
or as we are suddenly enveloped in clouds of sawdust and have to rapidly decamp
from the porch into the house;  never a
dull moment!!
 Monday afternoon I went with one of the
contractors who now owns the next door property to sign some legal documents
relative to our adjoining houses. The Notary’s office was right on the other
side of the city so it was quite an adventure as we travelled in his large
white pick-up truck! I was extremely anxious to get back home since the
committee was coming to dinner and I had an apple pie to bake. AGH!!! But it
all got done in time but I’m really glad to have that experience over and done
Other afternoons have included baking (of
course), cutting out fabric for Christmas Gifts (crafting and sewing for my
Christmas List is now well underway), gardening, harvesting herbs etc.
Interspersed with more dinnertime guests and a couple of overnight visitors to
add to the mix as well as two super early mornings with the Brady children.
This morning, after a run with Wil to make
a CTM deposit at the bank and to buy an organic eggplant (!) I did a quick
whiffle round the garden and then biked to a secondhand clothing store I had
recently read about which also sells environmentally sourced new clothes made
by local craftspeople. I was extremely proud to have downloaded the “Google
Maps” App to my phone and to have programmed in the bike route. Sadly, of
course, Google does not factor in CONSTRUCTION DETOURS and my simple 13-minute
route proved quite useless once I hit all the detour signs. Sigh. Sadly, after
finally finding the store, they did not have the bamboo leggings for which I
was hunting but it was an interesting foray into a different area of the city
and I was still able to make the round trip in just one hour

  Once back home I launched into preparing a very large pot of Ratatouille(having procured the necessary eggplant),which will be my contribution for the
Team Gathering supper on October 7th. So now it is time for another
Wil walk although I do not think we will go very far since it is now 28ºC
outside but before I go we still need a recipe!

This Recipe was mentioned in one of my favourite Blogs and comes originally from Bon Appetit Magazine. It sounds unusual but it is super good!! Everyone on the committee gave it ***** so do try it 😊

Sour Cream Apple Pie

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c. plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 t. cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/3 c. sour cream
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 or 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
Pie crust (you can make your own, or use a pre-made one from the refrigerator section of the grocery store — I always do) fitted into a deep-dish 9″ or 10″ pie plate and chilled
To make the topping, in a bowl blend the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour until the mixture is combined well. Cover and chill the topping.
To make the filling, whisk together the sour cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and flour until the mixture is smooth. Add the peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples and stir the filling and apples together.

Spoon the filling into the chilled shell and crumble the topping evenly over it. Bake the pie on a baking sheet in the middle of a pre-heated 350-degree oven, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. (You might need to put a bit of tinfoil on top of the pie during the last 15 minutes to prevent the top from burning.) Transfer it to a rack and let it cool completely.